Taming the Tongue
- The tongue is a small 2 oz. muscle, but it’s incredibly powerful. And as the book of James points out, while humans have been able to tame all kinds of animals, no one can tame the tongue (James 3:7-8).
- Fortunately, though, we aren’t without hope when it comes to our pesky tongues. The book of James also reveals to us the key to finding victory over the tongue’s dangers and harnessing its power for the glory of God: we need to R.A.C.E. to Jesus.
- First, we need to RECOGNIZE our desperate plight. James 3:8 says, “no human being can tame the tongue.” Like with every other sin in our lives, attaining victory over the tongue by our own efforts is impossible. We need help!
- Second, we have to ACCEPT the hope of the gospel. James 1:18 says that through God’s gracious provision of salvation we have been reborn, we have a new nature, a new identity; and along with this we receive the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit. It is through the Spirit’s power that we experience sanctification, including the transformation of our tongues.
- Third, we must CONTINUE regularly in God’s word. In James 1:25 we are told that those who continue in God’s perfect law that brings freedom will be blessed. God’s word is the fuel that produces freedom and victory over sin. Stay in the word!
- Fourth, we need to ENGAGE the Lord daily in prayer. James 1:5 says, “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.” Are you struggling with the tongue? Are you wrestling with sin? Do you need the Lord’s wisdom as you fight these battles? If so, turn to him in prayer and he will help you.
For more information on experiencing God’s transforming power in our lives, please check out the Apologetics Study Bible for Students, available in our online store.
Follow CMI on Twitter at @jasoncarlsoncmi.