- Christians often point out the absurdity of the idea that the universe exploded into existence out of nothing, since something that begins to exist cannot come from nothing.
- Oftentimes skeptics will reply to this position with the question, “If the universe needed a maker, then who made God?”
- The skeptic’s rejoinder highlights a basic misunderstanding about the nature of God. The Christian position is that everything that “begins” to exist must have a cause, but God had no beginning.
- The Bible reveals that God is the eternal “I am” (Psalm 90:2; Exodus 3:13-14). He is the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End (Revelation 22:13).
- Because God is eternal, without beginning or end, He didn’t need a maker. Nothing caused God to come into existence, He has always been. God is the Uncaused Cause of everything else that’s ever come into existence (Colossians 1:15-17).
For more information on the existence of God and His nature and character, please check out Dr. Carlson’s lecture, What is God like? available in CD or MP3 in our online store.