Fast Facts on the Religious Motivation for Violence of Islamic Extremists
- This past weekend the world was shocked by the horrific violence carried out at an Orlando nightclub by an Islamic extremist who pledged allegiance to ISIS. What is the religious motivation for such barbaric activity?
- The Islamic holy book, the Koran, contains 109 “war verses” advocating the killing of Jews, Christians, and other infidels (See for example: Surah 8:12-13; Surah 9:5-30,123; Surah 47:4). This is significant, as Muslims believe the words of the Koran come directly from Allah.
- During his lifetime, Mohammed, the founder and prophet of Islam, ordered or led 73 attacks against non-Muslim Arabs, Jews, and Christians. The example of their prophet is powerful motivation for the Islamic extremist.
- Islam historically has divided the world into two distinct camps: the dar al harb (house of war) vs. the dar al Islam (house of Islam). Thus, according to Islamic extremists, you are either a Muslim or you are at war with Islam.
- Islam is a religion of works and entrance into the Islamic paradise must be earned. However, because Allah is capricious by nature there is no assurance of salvation in Islam. The only certain way to gain paradise in Islam is to die as a martyr in jihad or “holy war” for Allah (Surah 4:47; Surah 9:89).
For more information on the motivation and goals of Islamic terrorism please check out the documentary DVD, Islam Rising, available in our online store.
Follow CMI on Twitter at @jasoncarlsoncmi.