Fast Facts on The Christian Response to Americaís Presidential Election
- This week’s election has once again revealed how deeply divided America is. The coming days will be an important time for the Church to affirm and profess some important truths to our Land.
- God is the author of history. He determines our times and places (Acts 17:24-31) and he shakes the nations to accomplish his will (Haggai 2:6-7; Daniel 2:21). History is “His Story”.
- God’s word is clear that our governmental authorities have been established by God (Romans 13:1-2).
- Christians are admonished by God to submit to and honor our governing authorities (Romans 13:1-2; 1 Peter 2:13-17).
- Christians are called to pray for the leaders of our government (1 Timothy 2:1-4).
- The Christian should seek to lead a quiet life within the culture. Our goal should be to win the respect of non-believers through our love for one another, our work ethic, and in living in peace together (1 Thessalonians 4:11-12; 5:12-15).
- As Christians this world is not our home; we are aliens and strangers here (1 Peter 2:11-12). As such, we must remember that our first calling is to live as ambassadors of Jesus Christ and his heavenly kingdom (2 Corinthians 5:20).
- Politicians will come and go, but the word of the Lord stands forever (1 Peter 1:24-25). May God’s priorities always be our priorities (Matthew 6:33); and may we as believers never be ashamed of the gospel of Christ (Romans 1:16). It alone is the true hope of the world.
For more on the Christianís responsibility to government please check out the Apologetics Study Bible for Students, available in our online store.
Follow CMI on Twitter at @jasoncarlsoncmi.