Fast Facts on How to Recognize that You’re Probably in a Cult
- You follow an individual or organization that claims to be the modern day prophet of God or voice of God on earth.
- You claim to believe the Bible, but you have additional, newer revelations that take precedence over the Bible.
- You believe the Bible has been corrupted, cannot be trusted, or can only be properly translated and interpreted by your prophet or organization.
- You deny that the one true God exists eternally as three independent persons.
- You believe in more than one God.
- You deny that Jesus Christ is the eternal God who came to earth both fully God and fully man.
- You deny that total and complete salvation is found in Jesus Christ’s atoning death on the cross and is offered freely to all as a gift of grace.
- You believe that salvation requires more than faith in Jesus, but must be earned by doing good works or by proving your worthiness to God.
- You deny the existence of conscious, eternal punishment in favor of annihilation, reincarnation, or universal salvation.
- You believe that you can personally experience divinity, by becoming one with the divine, or by ultimately becoming a god yourself.
For more information on recognizing and responding to the cults, please check out Dr. Carlson’s book, Fast Facts On False Teachings, available in our online store.
Follow CMI on Twitter at @jasoncarlsoncmi.