Fast Facts on Responding to Common Mormon
Arguments – Part III
- Mormons are polytheists, they believe in a pantheon of gods. To attempt to support their position from Scripture they will often cite 1 Corinthians 8:5 where Paul refers to “many ‘gods’”. In response to this argument point out the following:
- Mormons are taking 1 Corinthians 8:5 out of context. When read in the context of verses 4-6, this reference is not at all a defense of the type of polytheism Mormons embrace.
- Ask the Mormon, “What does Paul mean when he says in 1 Corinthians 8:4, ‘There is no God but one’?”
- Show the Mormon how the Bible uses the word “god” in other places such as Jeremiah 10:11, Psalm 82:6-7, or Exodus 7:1. From references like these it is obvious that the word “god” does not refer to “omni” or eternal beings.
- Throughout the Bible God clearly reveals that He alone is God and there are no others (e.g. Isaiah 43:10; 44:6; 44:8). This is in direct contradiction to Mormon doctrine.
For more information on the Mormon religion, please check out the documentary DVD, The Secret World of Mormonism, available in our online store.
Follow CMI on Twitter at @jasoncarlsoncmi.