Fast Facts on Responding to Common Mormon
Arguments – Part V
- Mormons claim to hold the Bible as one of their sacred books. However, Mormons will tell you that the Bible has been corrupted and cannot be fully trusted; which is why they argue that additional (Mormon) revelation is needed. In response to this claim you might share the following…
- There is more historical documentation for the accuracy of the Bible than for any other ancient book. Today we know of over 24,000 partial and complete manuscripts of the New Testament dating from the first three centuries A.D. These manuscripts have consistently verified the accuracy of our modern day Bible.
- The Dead Sea Scrolls discovered in 1947 date from 200 B.C. They contain portions of every book in the Old Testament except for Esther. Our modern day O.T. has proven to be 99% consistent with what has been found in the Dead Sea Scrolls.
- History, archaeology, and geography all confirm the authenticity of the biblical record. The same cannot be said of the Book of Mormon.
- Jesus quoted from the Old Testament regularly. Would he have done so if its integrity could not be trusted?
- Ask the Mormon, “Have you ever read through the Bible?” Many Mormons know very little about what the Bible actually teaches. Most Mormons rarely read or study the Bible. Instead, what they know about it is primarily derived from their official Mormon sources, which distort its authority and teachings.
For more information on responding to the claims and teachings of Mormonism, please check out Dr. Carlson’s lecture titled, “Mormonism: Christian or Cult?”, available in CD or DVD in our online store.
Follow CMI on Twitter at @jasoncarlsoncmi.